So, you found the site, good job, well done! You’ve also clicked around a little and marveled at the huge amount of information that is available, read a few reviews and looked at a google map with lots of little icons all over the city.
But, all of this causes a small problem, just which of all the glorious gluten-less goodness in Berlin should you visit/try first?
Well, this is where I can help, with my Top Recommendations for a gluten free life in Berlin!
Eating without Gluten
Places that have specific gluten free items are hard to find here, so its a short list :
- Suzette – Galettes and Cider – Review – Website
- Galettes are fast becoming my favourite gluten free meal these days, they have a wide variety and some vegetarian options. Plus, their cider is the best.
- Aunt Bennys – Sandwiches, Soup, Brownies and other Desserts – Review – Website
- One of my favourite gluten free place in Berlin, they have a wide selection of lunch options and usually a couple of choices for dessert.
- Cafe Eis Voh – Cakes, Coffee and Ice Cream – Review – Review 2 – Website
- A good large selection of Ice Cream (with gluten free cones) and many gluten free cakes on offer. They have also started serving meals and other treats, cookies etc. A definite place to visit on your trip to Berlin, there is nowhere else with a better selection.
- Cielo Di Berlino – Pizza – Review – Website
- The BEST gluten free pizza in the city. Better than Simela in terms of food and atmosphere although a little more difficult to get to.
- Ohlàlà V Tartes Shop – Sunday Brunch – Review – Facebook
- They offer a vegan gluten free brunch, at the moment every weekend, check their facebook page for up to date information (if the vegan part puts you off, please read my review first!
Gluten Free Beer in a Bar
Unfortunately there are not many bars that stock gluten free beer. You’re best bet is to try Dirty South or one of the other restaurants listed above, if you’re looking for a regular bar with gluten free beer you’re out of luck at the moment (June 2014), there are none.
Shopping without Gluten
If you’re looking for a single place to go to where you can stock up on a fair range of gluten free food, go to the Vitalia at Friedrichstrasse. They have an entire wall of products from various suppliers and a freezer section with pizzas, lasagna etc. See the berlinale page for details here.
For a complete selection of what you can buy here in Germany, head to Alexanderplatz. All within a short distance of each other you have :
- Galaria Kaufhof (although their freezer section is currently limited) – Review
- Vitalia – Review
- Reformhaus Quentin – Review
- DM – Near to Saturn – They offer some gluten free products not available in the other shops.
- Rossmann – In the basement of Alexa – As with DM, they have a limited selection (mostly biscuits, flours and pasta) but of a different brand than other places.
Rare bits n bobs, those things that are only available in a few places in the city, generally better than the mass available variants. (this section has not been updated recently, I’d double check on these places)
- vivBioFrischMarkt – Shoenhauser Allee 10
- Landkrone Soja Spaghetti
- Kiepert & Kutzner – Website – Review
- LPG BioMarkt Senefelderplatz – Website – Review
- Galaria Kaufhof – Website – Review
- DS Frozen Products – Pizzas, Fish Fingers, Puff Pastry etc. – Product Website
- Reformhaus Quentin – Alexanderplatz/Alexa – Review
- Mandel Hornchen – these are available behind the counter.